Thursday, July 4, 2013

Tell the Spammers what you think of them!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I am currently waging my own private war against a Jakarta-based spammer who has vandalized dozens of wikis at Wikidot.com. While it is possible to ban his user accounts, he just shows up with new accounts minutes later. And IP-based blocks don't really work either, as he uses dozens of them. I am trying to remove his spam as quickly as I can, but he just keeps on going (three hundred edits this morning alone) - and what's more, as of late he has begun to personally insult me for my efforts, as some of his most recent user names show:





Enough is enough. The insults I could deal with, but dealing with his spam is a never-ending chore - and I'd like to get some of my free time back. I need to escalate this further, and since going after him personally won't work, there is only one other thing I can do:

Go after the people who pay him.

I looked at the websites he spams for, and made a list of all the contact email addresses I could find:

gssimc@cbn.net.id,info@detikauto.com, info@easyprojects.net, widi@jac-recruitment.co.id, ratna@jac-recruitment.co.id, taufik@jac-bc.co.id, ryan@jac-bc.co.id,  trimasjaya@gmail.com, customercare@kindercube.com, contact@pbtaxand.com, surabaya@pbtaxand.com, global@saranasukses.com, sales@tiraimodern.com, sales@vamostech.com, support@vamostech.com, finance@vamostech.com, hrd@vamostech.com, info@WaterplusPure.com, purchasing@vamostech.com, sabanabunga@yahoo.com, rovindosp@yahoo.co.id
(EDIT: nadila@jac-bc.co.id removed from list due to bounce.)

And I just wrote the following text to them all:

Hello!


You, or someone in your employ, have vandalized dozens of websites located at Wikidot.com in order to insert unsolicited advertising to your website. Furthermore, you have persistently undermined all attempts at removing said advertising, inserting the links to your website quickly after they were removed.


Please cease this behavior immediately, as it reflects poorly on your professionalism as a business. Furthermore, the owners of the websites harmed through your actions may demand compensation for the damage done to them.

Best regards,

However, one single complaint can be easily ignored. Therefore I have a favor to ask of you: Please also email them and tell them what you think (though perhaps you should not use your main email address for this... just in case). If you do so, please be polite and respectful - they likely paid some "online marketing agency" which employs this spammer and may not be aware of what this agency is doing for their money.

Even if you don't want to email them yourself (which I can entirely understand), please share this post with others. The more people message them, the more likely they will consider their current contract, which should hopefully make the spammer stop. He has already done more than 2,000 edits at Wikidot.com (not to mention numerous other wikis around the web). Don't let him get to 3,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment